Native American Cultural Appreciation Club
The Native American Appreciation Club formerly operated on Bakersfield College. After decades of serving students at BC the club disbanded in 2005. Previous club activities included student outings to archeological sites and cultural activities, including local pow wows and sweat lodges on the Tule River reservation. The club also organized the annual Standing Bear Pow Wow which is now operated by the Heritage Foundation of Kern County. Bakersfield College continued to host the pow wow each summer until 2012 when the pow-wow relocated to the Kern County Fair Grounds. In Spring 2011 the club reorganized on the Bakersfield College campus and is eagerly searching for new leaders, activities, and ideas. To be part of this club simply contact Professor Garrett or any of the officers listed below, or meet us at the next club meeting or activity. Watch this web site for updates.
Our current club officers (2011-2012) are:
President: Richard Langsdeaux
Vice Pres: Jackie Strusis
Treasurer: Alejandra Jimenz
Secretary: Ashley Lostaunau
Our club constitution is available HERE.
- Feb 2 - Knap-In at east end of Hart Park (every 1st Sunday)
- Mar 8 - Nature Walk with Lone Wolf
- Mar 8-9 CSULB Annual Powwow (Long Beach)
- Mar 10 - Eagle's Heart Potluck and dance on Southwest corner of Jastro Park @ 6pm; please bring a side dish (salad/chips/veggies/fruit/dessert to share)
- Apr 19 - Sherman Indain High Intertribal Powwow (9010 Magnolia Ave) 951-276-6325 x120
- May 23-25 - 18th Annual Standing Bear Powwow
- Sat Apr 20 - Garden Fest
- Sat Apr 6 - Tule Reservation tour
- Wed Nov. 14 @ 11am-12:30 (10am setup in Fireside Room) - Native American Dancers & Drummers on Campus (Flier for more info)
- Wed Nov. 21 - Thanksgiving Education Booth
- Thurs Nov. 29 - Native American Fry Bread sale
- Thur Sept 20 - 6-8pm - presentation for the Owens Valley Career Development high school Indian club (NASA)
- Mon Sep 17 - Constitution Day - Club won $50 3rd Prize Award
- May 25-27 - Standing Bear Pow-wow - Location: Kern County Fair Grounds (1142 South P. Street)
- April 23 & 25 - Campus bake sale fundraiser
- Saturday April 21 - Garden-fest - club sold seeds, dream catchers, children's crafts, etc.
- Thursday March 29 at 5:30pm-7pm - presentation for the Native American Student Association High School Club (Owens Valley) -
- Thursday Feb. 23 - fundraiser at DaddyO's Yogurt (2697 Mt. Vernon Ave) from 5pm-9pm
- Mon Nov. 14 - hosted dancers and drummers on campus for a special Native American Heritage Month exhibit
- Sun Oct 23 - met at Jackie's house to watch movies. We watched Smoke Signals and discussed possible movie themes for the homecoming tailgate party.